Sunday, 16 April 2017

Gratitude to Dad

I have often been advised not to mix emotions and feelings with work. The need for endless praise, the need for signs of encouragement, the need for kind and humble bosses, and so forth. These desires often plagued me as I wear my heart on my sleeves, diving deep into it with my full spectrum of emotions.

I am very very grateful to have a sensible and wise Dad to teach me the ways of being an adult. I was so angry and flustered that towards the end of my employment, the person who I thought would support me the most was selfish. Granted, he was facing the loss of three teammates but he had not shown me even the slightest consideration. I was not able to utilise my leaves to offset, because of the  email he sent, which triggered a chain effect in the other unsightly being. Coupled with the frustration at how helpless and puppet-like the HR assistant behaved, I was pushed to the brink. It triggered the most unpleasant reaction- I was holding back tears and rage, I packed up from work and called an emergency immediately. This led to only nothing but likely trouble down the road. As angry as I was at the injustice that has occurred, my Dad talked me out of it. He cautioned the million things that could go wrong, not to mention ethics implications, disciplinary repercussions, and chances of my new job being sabotaged. This played out in my mind. Would they really go that far? A small voice said, Fuxk them, I'd like to see them try. The other voice told me to be serious, you cannot make things up because you are angry and want to avoid conflict and run away.

In the end, I mustered whatever common sense I had left and decided to drop the act and be level-headed. The end result was that in order to make a lie believable, you can't leave any loopholes. It has to be consistent throughout. Yes, even Daddy said repeated many times and with conviction, lies almost begin to sound like the truth. Especially when there is not many different versions, but only one consistent solid account of the tale. Thus, I had to do what was required. I hate deceiving people who genuinely cared about me, but I had no choice. And the people I wanted to get back at remains unscathed except for a slight worry in the beginning. Well, sometimes things are really not fair. People can be the kindest and sweetest humans but end up getting mistreated, taken granted for, or worse getting abused. And humanity is such that no one bats an eyelid, because they just perceive it as a piece of news, and some tragedy that they read above it that happens to other people.

However, I am truly grateful that because of my Dad's action, I was saved. Things turned out okay in the end. The call downs work wasn't horrible or as stressful, as it was split between three people. I didn't get a hard time from the boss. The event RSVP was actually good and the event was just okay. And best of all, on top of that, while I didn't manage to get my leaves to offset, I was fairly compensated for each of the 4 days, as according to labour law.

All this wouldn't have happened if I threw a no-show because of my angry fit. So thank you very much, Daddy. You truly saved me, and my reputation at work. I only wish I had more patience and calmness like you, while still earning big bucks and be well respected. Very proud to call your Daddy, and congrats to turning a happy and healthy 55 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment