Sunday, 2 June 2013

Soju time

Before I forget, I just want to write down the wonderful feelings I've had today. I went with Anastascia to meet the group of people from Your Culture My Culture. It was a little bit awkward in the beginning when everyone gathered in front of the McDonald's and I didn't know anyone to chat to. The only other white Australian in the group, Simon, chatted me up and we talked about British and Australian accent, the course he was doing etc. etc. It was really all polite small talk until we get to the point when we had the food AND the alcohol. Only right then, did I begin to really understand the theory that alcohol serves as a social lubricant. The alcohol- in this case, Soju, was the best part of the night. It tasted milder than the whisky I had at Haikal's birthday, and thankfully was not as bitter, although I could still taste the liquor stench everytime I down it. Simon referred to the soju as 'poison' halfway through the drinking games, when our table had downed two full bottles! 

I was really happy and glad that I came to the gathering. All thanks to Anastascia really, otherwise this wouldn't have even crossed my mind as I am quite a timid person when it comes to breaking the ice with strangers. But today, I must say I did really well! I chatted to a number of Malaysians, and suprisingly, it still amazes me up till today, that the Malaysians I encounter always happen to be Taylorians!! And usually from Business School! That put me at an advantage as we had a mutual topic now, something we have in common, and it is never boring to discuss how Adelaide fares compared to Malaysia and how we each find the environment. Of course, even a Burmese agrees that Malaysia is better than Adelaide, solely due to the food and the amount of eateries we have at Lakeside! 

The best part was that most of the Taylorians-Malaysians are really chilled and laid-back. It was very humbling to know that Er Whey and the TAS people still have some connection in my life in Adelaide- as I could talk about them at length to the Taylorians- they were some part of a society that I once belonged to. And suffice to say, the people in TAS, I've known them quite well to some extent. Old and behold, there was a girl who bear such an uncanny resemblance to Sin Mun! Her name is Cyndy, and she knew Er Whey as well!!! That made me feel very uplifted for some reason! There's this happy fluttering feeling as she mentioned sightings of me and Er Whey while I rambled on about tales of my time at Lakeside and at SLC with the bunch of TAS people. It was definitely something worth talking about!! And until now, I havent had a chance to talk about my life at Taylor's like this- so casually- to a bunch of strangers upon first meeting! It was a very happy moment for me, when I could talk properly (despite looking drunk!) about what I've done in Lakeside campus, relishing my memories and had some random strangers relate to it so well! 

I felt so grateful because everyone was so easy to get along with, especially Cyndi and this guy called Marcus. Due to me bringing up Anime Society, he asked me what anime do I watch, and ended up recommending some animes for me to watch, while he talked about one of the famous shows, Running Man! It went really well, considering we were separated at different ends of the table, I managed to get to know almost everyone, and chatted to a few of them at least! I find it really funny that everytime I drink, I would get horribly flushed red cheeks and bloodshot eyes, but still laughed as if I'm high, and everyone around me would be asking if I'm alright, and I would have to keep reassuring them countless times that I'm fine and I'm completely sober! Drinking games are so fun, I love it!! And having experienced it first-hand, it couldn't be truer that a little bit of alcohol actually warms people up and break the ice instantly, and makes people laughing and more chatty than usual! 

Still, I am really grateful that: 1) I have Anastascia. 2) I am from Taylor's 3) I've been in Anime Society and know all the important committee members, particularly Er Whey, Brandon Lee, and YZ
All those three factors combined are overwhelmingly helpful in my success in talking to these people and the fact that I'm Malaysian, I have a plethora of subjects to talk about- the food, the weather, the upcoming break, the future (what to do after graduation), and the likes!

No comments:

Post a Comment