Live for the moment because everything else is uncertain! This is what youth is all about! Also, remember that you have the power to shape your own destiny.
With that motto in mind, I jumped at any opportunities to explore, discover, make new friends, and push myself further by encountering different situations and meeting/dealing with new people. With Anastasia not around, it gave me a chance to mingle and brace myself to socialise even more than I normally would.
Sandy's take on life is very refreshing and amazingly simple: just do what you want and don't let anyone hold you back. The only people you should be accountable for are your parents. I've always thought of her as a bimbo (empty, fun-loving party girl), but I see that now she is actually a very smart girl because she can make firm decisions on her life choices and is easily a social butterfly who is not shy to use her contacts to get her what she wants. I think I agree on certain viewpoints, but am not quite yet bold enough to make any drastic changes at the moment.
I'll need to have a think about it. Update my resume, get a Linkedin account set up when I graduate, and figure out other stuff, such as my passions (serious hobbies that I can make a living off) and my plan to settle (which country to settle for short-term work, to settle down for good, should I be saving money to travel, etc.) That Chris guy who gave the talk was a random high school dropout, who by chance and luck, managed to set up his own company with some effort. Note that he still had to go to uni although he kind of bragged about not finishing high school! I mean, high school is not that hard really, it's uni that takes the cake, because of important, important decisions all the way!
I admire Wayne more than Chris because he had one thing that is rare and what most people lacked: vision. An 8-year-old isn't supposed to be mature and wise yet. I don't know whether he had a normal childhood but it seems he turned out alright and now sets himself apart because he is already doing better than everyone else and have a stable income and bright future. It tires me out when I compare myself to these business students, because really, I have no idea how to do the stuff that they do. I'd hate to start anything from scratch because I don't have the skills/knowledge and expertise, I'd be happy to be on the support team, but with a worthy position and cause to work for so that I don't get bored.
I think that I get bored easily. The camp activities were alright, some worse off than the others in the way it was designed and executed. My favourites were the Getting Through The String Wall challenge as it worked our brains hard, and also the Throw Ice Cream Stick game because I came up with an ingenious idea that got us back on track as we were the losing team. I'm actually amazed by my own initiative to take charge, be enthusiastic and outgoing, because all that time, I had been quite calm and reserved, I don't whether I still had it in me to get people all fired up and motivated to go. My team was very responsive to my suggestions and ideas, it gave me an opportunity to shine and being able to guide my team along (even when we were at the end of our wits) was a great feeling. Because we share the feelings of winning and losing together, we feel incredibly bonded. And when things went better than planned, we felt really happy and grateful. I also loved the fact that Wesley was so encouraging and forgiving, although sometimes he seemed stressed.
Not surprisingly, the reason I love my team so much is because of Wesley and the whole Minion theme.Wesley is another Er Whey-type, who is incredibly nice, incredibly friendly, incredibly smart and a people person. I think that I will always have a strong liking (call it a crush if you would) for this type of guys, since after all, they are my type. Sadly, I found out that he is not available and already promised to the beautiful Amanda. I am just glad that he is in my team and that we had fun together! It feels good to be accepted by someone you like (even though they can't belong to you).
Luckily, my group and I had a good chemistry- I was always myself around them. There were lots of people at the camp and some of them just turned me off, it was an instant dislike thing for no real good reason. Among the list is Peilin. Compared to Cyndy, I've always felt that Peilin is icy friendly instead of warm friendly. I don't know how to get along with her and I'm not interested either. Kevin (Wesley's bestie) is another oddball. I can't quite understand what he's trying to express. He claims to be a people person yet I don't find his personality particularly appealing or instantly likeable, he was just ok.
It's all good though. Besides the life lessons that I learned, this camp also established some contacts for me and brought me closer to the circle of Your Culture My Culture, Kangaroo Island, and City West business school people. A lot of them are involved in one activity or another so I think this won't be the last time I'm seeing them unless they're graduating end of this year. I guess none of them would end up becoming my real friend but I would be happy to run into them at events and we'll all do the casual meet-and-greets.
No comments:
Post a Comment