Friday, 10 July 2026

End of A Yoga Era

On the call, when Adelina spoke, even though no one's cameras were turned on, I could feel the shockwaves and stunned silence. She delivered the decision that was equally as heartbreaking for her as it was for the rest of us yoga teachers, so much so that she was in tears. The news was fresh off the press, she had just learnt it the night before. As she struggled to put it into words and how much she cherishes the studio and lamenting the fact that she had to give it up, she mentioned that "That's life" or was it "Sometimes, that's life". And she ended it with, "I'll give you all some time to digest." To let the reality sink in.

Fast forward, I was in my own head, still trying to process it while handling a client's counselling session. She had a breakthrough because she no longer put the guy on a pedestal, however it was really hard to concentrate on her, as I was simultaneously processing my own "loss". It was a loss of my identity as a yoga teacher, the opportunity to teach a class had vanished in thin air. Almost entirely, now left with a trace that is Yawya Yoga, which I am still grateful that I get to teach very intimate one-one-one classes or what feels like a private class of 2 or 3 people. 

After the session, while I was driving on the way home, I was looking at my chat with Joseph to see how much he would pay for my ARKCC sessions, now that I had exceeded 10 session per calendar year. (The truth was that, my pay would only increase on the 21st session per calendar year. If we worked out the math, that would mean conducting at least 3 sessions per month, every month without fail right? For me right now, my only recurring client is Jac, and I didn't start off the calendar year strong)

Before I found out the facts, my car slammed into a stop. I heard the crunching sound of metal against metal, and I was so clueless on how the accident happened. It really did happen in the blink of an eye. The next thing I knew, I heard the sound first, then only sight came. Of course by the time I looked up from my phone, it was already too late. 

I found it slightly reassuring that I had at least 5 people in my life that I could contact to comfort me after something dramatic happens. I don't have to post it on Instagram, and they would actually reply me on text. Liam was the first person I called. And then Dad. And then I texted Fadz, Rose, and the Michel-Alice group. These are the average of 5 people that I would spend time with, if we don't take work into account. And of course, Dad represents the whole family unit where siblings matter dearly to me too. 

Overall, despite this, I need to tell myself that it's over now and I'm just starting a new phase of life. And it's okay. Life shifts all the time, and nothing is constant right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment