Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Damsel In Distress

Have you ever experienced something you never thought you were capable of? And in a shocking manner. It was not the usual case of achieving something impossible (that you've been aiming for), but the exact reverse. This would be what I call an all-time unprecedented life-changing experience.

It was a circumstances brought upon by myself alright. After having bought a perfect, brand new pair of actual sports shoes and waiting patiently for a 'chance' to wear it, I leapt at the opportunity when Sunday came. (Saturday was off limits because of heavy rain.)

Despite having just recovered from a cold and having gone on an assignment to cover the 'World Food Day' event at campus on the same morning, the excitement of going hiking at a new destination, the Ayer Hitam Forest Reserve at our own neighbourhood, Puchong, was a tremendously encouraging thought. The location was suggested by Dad and I was all up for it to get a chance to wear my new shoes and get some exercise in hope to strengthen my body (to prevent another nasty flu attack).

I hadn't realized it would have been so tough. But I seem to be the only one. My 6-year-old sister (who had insisted on coming along) had no problem keeping up with the pace at which my Dad (frequent runner) was going.

I hobbled like an old granny and watched as kids as young as kindergarten age and elderly (senior) citizens alike overtook me while my two companions patiently slowed down whenever they realised I was 'missing' (from view!).

After scaling the first peak and covering a fair amount of distance, I gave up at the point where there was another steep uphill climb. To complete the journey to the highest peak was still a long way to go, and too much for me to handle.

"I really can't go on anymore. I'll just wait right here,", I said, panting quite heavily while motioning to the most obvious spot to sit on, the huge log lying on the ground.

While Dad was persuading me not to forfeit, it was precisely at that time, a resounding roar rippled through the forest and immediately hushed us up.

Was it a tiger? We listened intently, but the sound had faded away. Yet all three of us heard it clearly, what sounded like a roar.

Still, it failed to spark any fear in me, let alone change my mind. I was mildly amused (at the possibility of encountering a tiger), and intensely tired. After getting the point that there is no point trying to make me 'move it', the duo went ahead and I was all alone with the forest.

I was still overwhelmed by the vigorous exercise and trying to catch my breath. Was I that much out of shape? I pondered.

It was at this point that the drama started.

I wasn't sure but it must be the exhaustion and hurrying to keep up, I seem to be struggling inside and there was a sudden strong urge to throw up. I made retching sounds several times, but there was no vomit.

I felt sick and dizzy and immediately sat down on the log. Two kids passed by together, a boy and a girl. After that, I began to panic when my sight started blurring.

My eyes were open but I could no longer see anything. I could barely make out shapes and outlines. It was scary. This has never happened to me before, no matter how much I overexerted myself.

Everything was dark, nearly pitch-black. I struggled to keep a hold on myself and hope this insanity would pass.

It didn't. There was nothing I could do to snap out of it.

I sat there, thinking I would die.

A few women pass by. "She looks pale", one remarks. Then, they left, continuing on their trail.

I was not doing well at all. My hand gripped the wood firmly and held on to it as I struggled to maintain my consciousness.

After a while, a group of concerned men stopped at the sight of me. I didn't know how I looked like, but I was most certainly very unflattering at that moment.

The men starting talking amongst themselves in Cantonese. Since my Cantonese language skill is practically non-existent, I had no idea what they were saying.

They must be worried when they couldn't get any response from me. I could only hold on to the wood as if my life clung on to it. The only thing I could still rely on was my hearing.

And then, without hesitation, I obliged as strong arms supported me and hoisted me up. Still, my legs couldn't support me. I was embarrassed that I was so weak.

Gently, they lifted me and I was placed on someone's back. I was piggy-backed down the hill and the rest of the guys followed behind.

I could feel the strong muscles carrying me as I clung on to the stranger's back. I felt sorry for my saviour as I know it must be neck-breaking work, having to lug around a 50 kg weight on his back.

As we proceed through the forest, I slowly regained my senses. Like magic, the darkness eased up bit by bit and my sight was restored.

They let me down once they learned I was ok.

I was understandably both highly embarrassed and extremely grateful to the good Samaritans. My saviour was a fit guy in his early thirties while the others were of various ages, none a teenager, but all looking very fit.

I thanked them profusely for 'rescuing' me and they waved it off good-naturedly, and further dished out some advice to me before going their separate ways.

When I met up with Dad and my sister, Dad told me he heard from the other hikers passing by that there was a girl who looked pale and unwell en route their trail.

"Dad... That was me."

Uh-huh. The damsel in distress of the day.

Quite an achievement for the first time wearing my sports shoes. (I felt so lame, as if I was a character from some drama, especially the piggy-ride part!)

It was quite pathetic considering I didn't even manage to complete the trail. I've lost to my 6-year-old sister (who seemed to go through the whole thing without breaking a sweat)!

No comments:

Post a Comment