Monday, 10 October 2011

The pursuit

More than anything else, beauty is the thing that I've always wanted to achieve.

I didn't used to be so conscious about my look. Until I reach teenage hood that is.

There are a lot of things that I regret now. If only I had taken better care of myself when the slightest 'problem' with my appearance crop up in my early years (of adolescence).

Though I am grateful that I'm not overweight/plus-sized, my entire appearance just screams plain jane.

Nothing memorable, easily forgettable.

This, coupled with my somewhat introverted personality, spells total disaster.
I can easily accept/tolerate other people and do my best to get along with people or play along with the situation, in short, harmony is the key, but I am finding it a teeny-weeny bit hard to accept myself.

I've rarely received compliments about my looks but I've understood and worked that out a long time ago. I have acne. Mild-moderate range, but still, not pleasant to look at.

It's a really tough world for girls out there. I can totally relate and understand the need for cosmetic surgery.

Ironically, I was in the shoot for an article, a two-page spread about cosmetic surgery. I figured out that I am not alone, most people are not entirely happy with the way they look either.

I guess we all secretly wish we could undergo that 'transformation', that miraculous change needed to give us that boost of confidence and satisfaction in our lives.

I've came to the conclusion that almost nothing is worth spending on as much as beauty enhancement; that your money is well spent on things that would or have the potential to make you look good. The least extreme example would be clothes/wardrobe and products.

Simply because, everything else is temporary, looks stay, for a while, with careful maintenance, effects could be maximized.

Food, travel, movies- they're great reasons to part with my money, but nothing to help my self-esteem with.

Any greatest, most delicious meal in the entire world in a posh restaurant will just be that, food, which is eventually digested and gone. The act of eating is pleasure, but it is purely short-lived. After that? The feeling of over-fullness/bloated tummy when you've gulped down a buffet does not utterly sit well on your conscience when you have consumed certainly more than what's needed to fill the stomach. Movies are great fun, but you forget them after a while. They do stay in your memories but have otherwise lost significance. And travel. Unless someone handles the 'details' for me, it's not worth the trouble.

Thus, I have make a decision to minimize all 3 components to save up money. When I've had enough, I'll definitely go without fear, but with caution and thorough research.

Not plastic surgery of course (I'm looking for minimal down-time!), but some other subtler methods, laser treatment, microdermabrasion, etc.

I know that the having clear skin is not going to change my life, but the possibility of it excites me already. It will be a huge, huge improvement that no amount of food, movies or travel can ever deliver! That personal state of satisfaction and achievement.

I'm not going to let anyone put their foot down and extinguish my plans, I'm truly committed, I'm truly determined that I really want to have that beautiful-healthy-clear-glowing-skin look.

Because until I reach the state of appearance that is desirable by myself, I won't be truly happy. I would only be in a state of synthesized happiness. No matter how pleasant or comfortable my surroundings are, the dissatisfaction/discontent coming from myself cannot be stifled/silenced.

I believe that altering a person's features does not make the person any lesser or any different than he/she originally was.

After all, isn't it human rights for every person to live they way they desire? Freedom of choice!

To feel good, you also have to look good. It is no secret that confident and attractive people have a head-start in life as they have a higher self-esteem.


It would be really great to have a balance of both looks and personality!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, looks can indeed provide people with a higher sense of self-esteem!

    However, well... even if we don't look great, we tend to compensate that with something else. Compensation happens constantly without us being conscious about it… The fact is, we might even have certain abilities that good-looking people do not possess. You know... like how you're able to write all these stuff in the blog, ever expressing your ideas and feelings so well!

    Geez, just by thinking of this compensation thingy empowers me a lot, lol. It makes me realize that everyone is good with different things. Good in something, bad at another. We often emphasize on the achievements of good-looking people and how they’re so 'successful' in life. However, by doing so we tend to overlook our own hidden talents too. So we actually don't have to look good to feel good. Even though being good looking is socially desired. Heck, just screw the social norms! To feel good we can just do what we love to do, focus on things we’re good with… and do something that is constructive to the society. That gives us a sense of self-worth besides distracting us from being conscious about our appearances, and we'll just couldn't help but feel better about ourselves!

    Looks do matter, but only to a limited extent. We cannot survive without skills and knowledge, but we will survive even without great looks. Being a Plain Jane isn't that bad after all anyway! Well then, you'll surely shine as a great journalist in the future. We ordinary people need journalists like you to stay updated! (and to kill time in pleasure) ;)

    Also, as a final note, I actually think you’re an attractive person too. Why do I say that? We’ve met before already, haha.

    Good luck with your pursuit of having clear skin! =D

    ReplyDelete