Monday, 14 November 2011

Special significance?

So, as the rest of the world was celebrating the rare date 11.11.11, due to overfocusing on assignments (due dates!), I was completely unaware that the date held such powerful significance of only occurring once in century.

It falls into the once in a blue moon category and generated quite a buzz in the papers and on the Internet, what's more with the frenzied couples rushing to tie the knot because of the deemed auspicious date. It would have been highly amusing if they decided to use Kelly Clarkson's (or Leona Lewis's) song, 'A Moment Like This', as dates like this only occur once, much like chances at marriage, it is simply befitting!

Jokes aside, I spent my day at the somewhat dull CommFest (yes, it was held on 11/11/11) and yet again, role-played as a journalist. As a news report was required for my assignment (submission), my article (http://journaliciouskabo.blogspot.com/2011/11/commfest-2011-brings-social-media-to.html) was of course not as critical as it could have been, and needless to say, I was playing it safe.

But to be brutally honest, the Communication Festival last year was much much better. Although this year did have some interesting performances, the festival itself was dull and the activities and games quite boring. I supposed it is partly because of the theme, which allowed more room for performances instead of games. Cardboard Facebook was just downright awkward! Though it wasn't all that bad, it doesn't seemed like anyone was having the time of their life actually.

I still smile at the memory of last year's festival where everyone went crazy racing around campus for The Amazing Race and tried to solve the mind-tasking challenges as fast as possible while catching their breath, and get freaked out at the Fear Factor game, plus some mini games, my favourite being the one where you have to struggle to stay on top of a wild (machine) bull that tries to flung you off.

But effort is still effort, and the team deserves praise for their hard work. Although I have considered PR & event management before, I would not really like being in their shoes, as a journalist's job to write up about an event is relatively easier than the headache of putting together a successful large-scale event. Even a small-scale/medium-scale event would have to go through the trouble of sponsorship, logistics, sales and marketing, promotion and publicity, not to mention coming up with a creative, workable idea in the first place! And the hardest thing is getting people to come! Regardless of the event, you have to lure them with celebrities! Managing these sort of things is actually not among my skills, as I have the most unbusiness-minded mind as imaginable, so more respect for these (overworked, underpaid?) people!

The day was not lost however, as I relaxed (for the first time ever!) in a fish spa* and had steamboat dinner with some friends at the end of the day.

*As all pampering goes, fish spa was pricey at RM 38 for 30 minutes but the experience was fun and refreshing! The nibbling fish sensation felt like dipping your legs into electric-current water because of the massage effect!

No comments:

Post a Comment