Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Hired

If ever I was asked ‘What can you contribute?’, the sincere reply would be ‘Nothing at the moment. I am just here to learn.’

Being a newbie at the first day of work, first (official) job, feels like learning ABC. Everything is new and foreign. Felt like the dumbo around as everyone was more useful than the blur (very clueless) me.

Handling things (tools) I’ve never even touched before made me feel helpless. My first tool was the barcode scanner. It might seem funny that although I knew full well that it is a freaking barcode scanner, I directed the pointer/head of the machine at the price label instead.

Luckily, the saying ‘patience is a virtue’ seems to apply to my employers and nobody batted an eyelid or even made fun of me. It was an equally humbling experience when I was introduced to the price-tag labeling machine and the credit card machine.

There’s too much take in and A LOT to take care of, but I’m hoping it won’t be much longer before I get the hang of things. Although all ears (an attentive listener), I am not a fast learner by nature, so thank goodness that everyone here gave me the kind-and-patient, just ask-if-you-don’t-know-anything treatment so far.

I admit that I was overjoyed to finally get a job (atYamaha Music no less), but quickly get the idea that a part-time job isn’t as easy as it sounds.

Customer service, sales, and admin work, three-in-one for 440 MYR!

BUT because I get a chance to learn in the friendliest environment I dared hoped for in my dreams, the low pay is worth it as I am out to get the XP.

Surrounded by things that I have a connection to, and working in a comfortable air-conditioned place close to home for a mere four hours is a pretty good deal.

Everything is a learning procedure. Two customers walked in and it was interesting to note how the others attended to them. Live demonstration in place, I carefully observed what I would have to do very soon (and for the rest of the few months), attending to people.

Earlier, Boss touched on how we can channel our inner PR skills to create a good customer relationship. Little did he know that the mass comm student before him knew exactly everything about whatever PR skills he was referring to.

I might have aced the PR theories and assignments, but I realize now is the perfect chance for me to put everything into practice!

I still lack a lot of 'general' knowledge and have tons more to learn. Things are only going to get more complicated but I’m hoping everything will turn out fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment