Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Gratitude

It's easy to lose sight of the things that you hold in your hands. As I start on this path of gratitude for 2017, a favourite quote that I keep coming back to, to meditate my thoughts on goes as follows:

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you have now was was once among the things that you could only hope for". -Epicurus

While there is a lot to study and read up upon the wisdom of these sages, I resonate deeply with this quote and knows it makes a lot of sense. A chance meeting with an old acquaintance, a few words from my colleague about her bff, took me to a stalking mode on Facebook. It was with astonishment that I realized that I hadn't log into social media for a good three days. (Quick recollection- Sat, started Japanese class; Sun, movie with sis and bought the book; Mon, back to work). It was because in between getting swept away by Ed's mesmerizing vocals and talent, I also had things to do that kept me occupied.

However, tonight, was a walk down memory lane. Not my own, but specific people that I had known in the past. If it seemed ages ago and faded, that was because it really was. It had been a number of 5 years since then and I had not bothered to keep tabs on people. The first story, the mischievous twins and their ring leader, was a gang of boys, who would be deemed wealthy troublemakers. Seeing him calling out my name then later telling me about his internship at that place really blew me away. People can have a bright future no matter what their past was. But only if they are willing to take the steps, big or small.

Grateful that he still recognized me and acted very warmly towards me, which prompted me to do the same. I was always the quiet one, and never thought I'd left an impression on anyone since I kept to myself a lot. I was always friendly when approached though, guess that's what made the difference. I was alone, but I wasn't anti-social! This had happened a few times too, when I bumped into Gerald, Eunice, Natalie, and the nicest of all, Adam, with a big hug.

The second story, about a girl who desperately longed for someone to complete her, and got scorched and came away with a broken heart, and a fresh re-evaluated perspective and stronger self. The third story, about a couple that once was and no more- where the woman was among one of the most beautiful common folk Scorpio to walk the earth, and the guy who started wooing anew after merely six months. And the fourth, a people person who is always smiling and keen for more adventures, unfazed by any hardship or loneliness, similar to the fifth (who prompted the soul searching), who is a character larger than life that many people can identify and fall in love first, even forming complete trusting relationships in just two weeks.

Through FB, I concluded that there is no one-sized-fits-all formula for doing well, doing great, or being happy in life. You must do what feels natural to you, what feels real, natural and not forced for the sake of higher gains (the only grey areas or exception is gym or career- even AK has the 'fake laughter' thing which he puts on for show for clients, and you almost can't tell because practice has made it ohh so perfect). Again, there will be times when you will be challenged to step out of your comfort zone, which is great for learning new things, but always stay true to yourself. Extroverted or introverted, 200 likes or 20 likes, or even 2 likes for that matter, is all good as long as your experiences are genuine. There are some experiences that you can only feel once, and can't be relieved through pictures on social media. Whereas there will also be those moments, where a simple old picture takes you back to a flood of memories.

Visualisation is the most powerful exercise- there was a research where people exhibited the same pattern of activation in the brain, by visualizing practicing the piano, with similar results to actually sitting down to practice playing the piano. But then how many of us can actually train our minds and see it play a key, one after another, then repeat? With so much stimulus from entertainment, we have learned to absorb, normalize what isn't normal (all the explosions in movies and gun shots, car crashes), and it leads to a sensory overload. How many man can visualize themselves as successful, how many women can visualize themselves as beautiful, when the first thing that hits our mind are the nagging insecurities and the way we see ourselves?

Other than the Dove campaigns, I believe many social experiments have been done, each deserving its merit for what it is trying to prove or discover. Many times, relationships change and end because people change, but if they were grateful for each other, then it was not a loss at all. Other times, I suddenly realized that you have been having a handful of close friends for a couple of years, and not really noticing how the years fly by. And how we took no notice of the passing time, and still keep faith in ourselves and knowing that they would accept the friendship for what it is, with little demand.

Today I want to state a list of things that I am grateful for. Remember, an apple a day keeps the doctor away! I've been saving my apples, so here's a barrel full!

I am grateful:

TD:  Grateful thatI got to sit in a lecture-class style meeting with him, passing sweets in secrecy and laughter about the quizzical slides. This is when it didn't feel like work. Because all I had to do was be attentive. The presentation was interesting (with nice visuals!), brilliant spanking new office and cool AI pal, and the bestest seatmate, thought it only lasted for what felt like seconds, a stolen moment out of our hectic routine.

TD:  Grateful that Hun called for two minutes, and told me he was grateful he had good transportation :) It turns out the bus drivers are as friendly as ever, I reckon the buses are pretty on time or decently not overly late, while amazingly, the fare has not increased in three years, at least for the student price.

TD:  Grateful that he said thanks when I passed him the clipping. (Usually nobody has to say anything, there is no common courtesy rules when it comes to work, so every bit from top down is crazy unexpected!)

TD: He might not think highly of me! But grateful that he showed me how to see the app's search history, and did his best not trying to look too pleased or haughty when he pointed out the spelling mistake.

TD: Just realized his name can be shortened to Ed.... !!! But no, we can't use that name. Anyway, grateful that he took time out to teach me about boosting and dark posts.

TD: Not taking it for granted! But grateful that didn't get scorched when I came in late and (almost) missed our first official meeting. Can't remember which day, but on the same topic, grateful that I didn't get destructed and blasted apart for missing the whole session and calling in late, both were important and mandatory.

Weekend: Grateful that fringe looks okay and actually really nice once I get used to it. Grateful that I can snack whenever I want to! (Japanese class) Grateful that no one controls my diet and the time that I can or cannot eat!

Weekend: Grateful that sis forced me to wake up, get a movie and ended up getting the insightful book. Movie wasn't too bad though there were terrifying shots.

Grateful that he also wants to try the gratitude journey, and that he made funny noises when he heard that it is for one year. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment