Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Down in the dumps

It has been a most uneventful and gloomy day indeed. Strange how the slightest upset could cause the delicate balance of our world to turn topsy-turvy.

When your anticipation and hopes are crushed, it leaves nothing much to be desired. However, I, for one, am immune (well almost) to depression. I just have this weird, empty, unsettling feeling inside but could still socialize as usual and manage a hearty laugh or two. However, I could barely process whatever the lecturer was telling the class. Since it is not journalism class, I was less concerned. (Performing arts is not my forte anyway!)

I felt disoriented and my mind had already lost focus when she constantly spoke in a medley of traditional English. The experience was fun though, she was very animated and lively to capture our attention when she read out verses from the play, which would otherwise make little sense to someone whose knowledge of Shakespeare and literature is limited to Sonnet 18 and Romeo and Juliet taught in high school. However, she really killed it for me when the tragedy comes to a depressing conclusion. After presenting the story of King Lear and Macbeth, the conclusion she imprinted in our minds, is that mankind are all fools, playing out their time on the stage while waiting for the end. I was really spaced out then but I think she mentioned candles. Perhaps it was something about how our lives are just waiting to burn out like candles.

I am probably acting very childish here, but having a tragedy-story-depressing-moral-lesson does nothing to lift my already low spirits.

For something so trivial it really shouldn't have affected me, but I need to confirm for myself just in case. No matter the outcome, at least I'll have a peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment