It gave me a trill to see the guy hauling himself through the beautiful wilderness of the Borneo jungles with the cascading waters and lush green foliage. (Yes, Borneo includes Malaysia, the Sabah and Sarawak region!)
On the concept of Survival 101, the guy (Bear Grylls) is stranded on some remote island (somewhere in Borneo in this case, in this particular episode), and he has to struggle to find food and water like our ancestors to live through the day. It is just so strange watching him from the comforts of the living room and cringing at the harshness of the wild. What have we become? Too pampered? Yes, I concluded when I watched him grilled a poor snake he caught. He actually ate it! This is not some nonsense celebrity-thrown-in-the-wild show, neither is it a drama like “Lost”… but it is kind of a good reminder to see men awaken their ancestral instincts.
Yes, yours truly have no idea what is it like to hunt, kill and cook an animal for a meal. I couldn’t bear hurting the animal in the first place! Worse, I can’t stomach weird food like those… everything must be cooked and seasoned with taste/flavour. (However, exceptions are granted for sashimi, salmon especially.)
What I learned: It all comes down to survival of the fittest. As quoted from an anime Samurai X, “Only the strong will survive” . We are different from our ancestors, but I think in this modern age, the theory still rings some truth to it. Survival skills still count in society. We can’t make it far if we don’t step out of our comfort zones, we’ll grow weak if we don’t challenge ourselves. Thus we’ll begin to lose out to the ‘stronger’ people. Does this sound like the rambling of a mad woman or am I making sense?
P.S. By the way, I feel so terrible not knowing that Borneo is the third largest island in the world until he mentioned it! even though I am a Sarawakian. (Well, I do know that Sarawak makes up the largest portion of Borneo)
No comments:
Post a Comment