Thursday, 25 August 2011

If we could go anywhere! Pick Japan?

It was quite amusing and a pleasant surprise to come across one of my childhood episodes recently.


Doraemon's Dokodemo Door! or Anywhere Door! (featured in print news)

The Fujiko F. Fujio Museum in Kawasaki, Japan is exhibiting the works of art produced by the popular author and manga artist Fujio starting from Sept 3, 2011.

How I wished I could see Doraemon's many gadgets being brought to life and on display! The Dokodemo Door shown above is being displayed on the rooftop playground of the said museum.

As a child, I grew up reading the famous comics, gathered a decent collection and even watch the dubbed version on TV (where Doraemon spoke in Malay with Nobita!) :P


It would intrigue me to the point of excitement/suspense to see what 'magical tool' Doraemon would produce from his '3D' pocket to help Nobita each time he is in trouble! I used to wish that I could jump into the 'time travel drawer' and board the machine to the future or the past to see what mankind/civilization would be like.

Hmph, then when I grow up, the answer was to study history to my answer. Reading history from the book is one thing, but to be there, seeing it with your own eyes/experiencing it, is so different.

Based on that theory, I realized that I wouldn't know what Japan is REALLY like if I hadn't been there. Regardless of how many animes or TV series I watch, it still is just a painted picture which doesn't portray reality or depict the Japanese real life.

So, I harboured the dream of going to Japan, the land of my fantasies, and finally achieved that dream early this year in March. It wasn't smooth-sailing though as the earthquake struck there and then and I got caught up in the middle of it. No kidding, I wasn't hurt or swallowed up by the disaster, but got stranded at the airport due to nearly all international flights being cancelled.


But still it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm and liking towards Japanese culture, food and anime!

Nevertheless I have to face the sad truth that it's nigh impossible for me to ever go to Japan again due to the $$.

I suppose once in a lifetime is good enough! :P

Staying with a Japanese family is fun as you get to experience their daily routines, traditional Japanese style!


*Curiousplayfan is an otaku at heart. However, she prefers anime to manga. Her favourite childhood anime are the popular cartoons Doraemon, Crayon Shin Chan and Digimon. Currently a grown-up girl pursuing journalism, she can only afford to visit the fantasy world occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment