Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Surviving the frenzy- ongoing!

Have you ever felt like there's so little time, so much to do?

Modern lifestyle is indeed fast-paced.

It is truly much more so when you are a student.

The avalanche of assignments is never-ending. It's like a bout of lightning striking one after the another!

We seldom acknowledge the fact or think about it, but we are actually a privileged bunch of people to be studying! Not everyone is fortunate enough to afford education in the first place! (Sorry, I just had to say this after going through the Famine 30 ordeal and starved myself silly.)

Having said that, it doesn't stop me from groaning and complaining of the workload! The halcyon days are over when you are a degree student.

And a scholarship holder.

We didn't even had assessments or tests yet but we are already being judged and slammed.

The pressure and expectations are so high! The lecturer requested us to stay behind, and well, lectured us, albeit in a kind motherly manner.

At that moment, I felt like a child being reprimanded.

Mainly, she wants us to be vocal in class. Scholarship holders must, at all times, exhibit outstanding personalities to prove our worth, for example, like grabbing every opportunity to answer her questions by giving prim and proper, intelligent feedback.

Come on, you got to be kidding, I'm so not Hermione Granger!

In fact, I had to work my ass off in the exams (last year) to secure a spot for the scholarship!

So we got a 'punishment'.

To make up for her bitter disappointment, we are to be mentors to the weak students. Under our guidance, they are supposed to flourish.

Ok, this just increases my workload and add another burden so to speak. Since I'll have to 'attend' to other people, it is like doing twice or thrice the work of a usual student.

She stressed that we cannot be selfish to share our knowledge. It is actually a good way to help us build up confidence and trust in our own abilities.

She wants us to inspire, lead and motivate the other students, for scholarship holders are supposed to be role models.

I have nothing against it, it's all very intriguing really, except that I possibly lack the charm and charisma for being inspiring.

I certainly hope no one gets on my nerves for being irritatingly impossible to handle. Or that they might be some form of tension or unwelcome/hard feelings.

But I am ready to do my part. Challenge accepted. This will be good practice to improve my (barely there!) people skills.

It's true, we could all use some form of reliable help. The Internet is amazing (tribute to FB as well), but then, so is having a real person helping you out. Even yours truly occasionally refer to the seniors for guidance. But caution must be exercised in order not to become a nuisance/cause inconvenience!

What say you? For me, ultimately, it still boils down to our own preparation and efforts.

We should all strive for excellence and throw in our best attempts, but don't you find it funny when the saying goes, 'Practice makes perfect' , yet no one is perfect?


*Curiousplayfan thinks that it's now the norm to be worried/concerned about one's future, all thanks to the increasingly competitive society. Oh, the burdens of youth who just wish to be carefree... would you understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment